At 18, Kaden was in serious financial trouble. “Sweeping my debts under the rug when the monthly bills came in was the norm.” But, he was curious about credit scores and knew his was not good. He just did not know how bad his score really was. By the time Kaden was 31, he knew he had:
- A low credit score
- Student loan debt
- Mounting credit card debt
- Other bad debts weighing his credit score down
With nowhere to turn, Kaden kept sweeping until he tripped over the pile under the rug. He was working low-paying jobs, adding to his family and thus, his responsibilities and expenses. Kaden increased his debt load every day just living his life.
Kaden’s life began changing in the spring of 2019 when he attended a workshop at work about financial wellness – led by NHFCU’s Centers for Finance & Education.
“At 31 years old, with debt “following” me throughout my adulthood, for the first time, I felt safe, thinking there might be hope, and help. NHFCU’s representative gave me hope that there would be no judgement about my debt situation.” And, after 13 years of continuing to accumulate debt, he saw an opportunity to change his thinking and habits about debt – and eventually change his life.
Fast forward to December 2020 - Here’s what Kaden has accomplished:
- He began to clean up the pile of debt buried under the rug and increased his credit scores – up a total of 541 points when combined among the three major credit bureaus:
- Experian – Up 268 points
- Trans Union – Up 183 points
- Equifax – Up 90 points
- He and his spouse pay their bills on time, every month.
- They’ve expanded their family to care for a child who needed help and hope – yet continue to live within their means.
“If you are struggling financially, please do this one thing … Make one phone call to NHFCU’s Centers for Finance & Education. Take that step to talk with someone and just go from there. There’s no obligation and they won’t do anything that isn’t beneficial to you. They REALLY care!”
- Kaden T.
NHFCU helped Kaden. How can we help you? Contact us today at (603) 224-7731 ext. 330.